Welcome

Dear readers,

First of all, thank you for showing interest in my blog: economicious. I'm planning to write about economics and finance, and life as an 'economist' - everything I come across which catches my attention. So hopefully these future posts capture your attention as well.
Feel free to comment on what I write.

Kind regards,

Renate van Ginderen

Monday 11 October 2010

Note to "Bad news is good news"

No matter how strongly I believe that further quantitative easing will not help the U.S. economy move forwards, this does not mean the Fed will not engage in QE2, unfortunately. I believe they have gone down a road and now cannot turn back, because:
  • Markets have priced in a large amount of possible further easing. Announcing no or only little QE2 will shock the markets, but in the wrong direction (stocks, gold and commodities will decline);
  • The first round of QE helped (although back then loose monetary policy served the completely different purpose of providing liquidity to a system in need of liquidity);
  • With fiscal policy offering little help, the Fed must do (rather: try to do) something (it's in their mandate);
  • Future disadvantages to QE2 are far away, and very much unknown (unknown also are the benefits, but hey...), and;
  • Bernanke is in favour of QE2, and so are most Fed members (and Krugman)

With this in mind, I think it is just much more likely the Fed will announce on 2-3 November a shocking package of purchases of government bonds and private assets.

No comments:

Post a Comment